Take your family on the adventure of a lifetime as you explore a South African city, bush and beach – all free from concerns of malaria! Begin with an invigorating climb up Table Mountain and a tour of this dazzling and family-friendly world city. Move out into the wilderness for the quintessential South Africa safari experience alongside lion, giraffe, leopard, elephant and rhinoceros. Unwind on the pristine shores of the Indian Ocean, wedged between wild bush and stunning ocean. This one-week tour of the country reveals all that it has to offer from some truly child-friendly properties.
- Observe Africa’s Big Five as you traverse the hills and jungles of the malaria-free Shamwari Private Game Reserve in near solitude
- Indulge in a picnic on the plateau of Table Mountain, with the city and Atlantic Ocean shimmering in the distance
- Visit the Two Ocean’s Aquarium at the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront for a peak into the Atlantic Ocean
- Indulge in impossibly fresh fish and chips at a relaxed family friendly restaurant looking out over an active harbor, filled with Cape fur seals
- Learn about African conservation and rehabilitation initiatives at Shamwari’s Born Free center
- Take advantage of superb child-care services and child-friendly activities, allowing all family members to have the best possible experience
- Find yourself surrounded by wilderness as you sit between the bush and the beach at Oceana
- Sleep easy at some of the finest properties in the country: Cape Royale, Riverdene Lodge, and Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
TRIP AT A GLANCE
(Day 1): Cape Town – Arrive in Cape Town and Drive to the Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Residence in Green Point
(Day 2): Cape Town – Guided Tour of Table Mountain and the City Center
(Day 3): Cape Town – Day of Leisure Around the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and the Two Ocean’s Aquarium
(Day 4): Cape Town to Shamwari – Fly to Port Elizabeth and Drive to Riverdene Lodge in Shamwari Private Reserve
(Day 5): Shamwari – Enjoy a Full Day on Game Drives, Searching for Members of the Big Five
(Day 6): Shamwari – Enjoy a Full Day on Game Drives, and a Few Hours at the Born Free Sanctuary for Rescued Cats
(Day 7): Shamwari to Oceana – Enjoy a Final Morning Game Drive Before Transferring by Road to Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve
(Day 8): Oceana – Enjoy a Full Day at Your Leisure Exploring the Beach and Bush that Surround Oceana
(Day 9): Oceana to Home – Return by Road to Port Elizabeth in Time to Connect with Your Outbound Flight
Begin your family-friendly tour of South Africa in the sparkling and captivating city of Cape Town. Orientate yourself on a full day guided tour of the city’s historic landmarks and natural sights, with stops to climb Table Mountain (the view from the rotating gondola should not be missed) and to observe a colony of African penguins. Learn about the unique fynbos vegetation, and cruise through the impressive aquarium in order to fully grasp the environmental diversity of the Western Cape. Snack on fresh fish and chips in the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, exploring a number of shops that will appeal to all members of the family.
From the city, you will then move on to the bush at Shamwari Private Game Reserve. Located in the Eastern Cape, this sensational region provides guests with exclusive encounters with vibrant wildlife in an entirely malaria-free zone. Spend two days exploring the mountains and valleys of the reserve as you search for leopard, lion, elephant, buffalo and rhinoceros. Work with your guide to learn about the smaller insects, birds and plants before taking a tour through the Born Free Conservation Center. Children are well cared for at Riverdene Lodge, where a full time caregiver is on site and countless child-orientated activities are available – in addition to game drives, of course.
This tour of South Africa concludes perfectly with a few days of quiet relaxation on the shores of the Indian Ocean at the Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve. As one of the few properties in Africa to combine bush adventure with beach relaxation, you will have a multitude of activities to choose between. Child-care is always available for small children, providing parents with a few quiet and romantic moments of relaxation on the seven kilometer private beach before returning home.
Ideal Travel Months
This tour is best suited to occur during the South African summer months (November – March), when temperatures are warmer in Shamwari, Cape Town and Oceana. Though wildlife viewing in Shamwari is best during the South African winter months (June – September), the temperatures are surprisingly cold. Multiple warm layers are necessary on early morning game drives, and warm clothes are recommended during the entire day should you visit during this period.
- Cultural / Gourmet Dining / Leisure / Beaches / Scenic Drive / Shopping / National Park / Reserve / Outdoor Adventures / Safari / Wildlife / Zoos & Aquariums