Few tours will better expose you to the wonder and variation of the African continent. Beginning with a trek to the ‘roof of Africa’, watch the continent’s best sunrise from the glacial peak of Kilimanjaro. Descend to the savanna of the Serengeti embarking on the ultimate safari in Tanzania, across the golden plains stippled with migrating wildebeest and ominous predators. Descend further to the floor of the world’s largest caldera, the Ngorongoro Crater, for a contrasting, yet equally magical, safari experience before you drift away into the Indian Ocean on the shores of Zanzibar. This tour leaves no highlight untouched – it is, quite simply, the most epic and adventurous tour of Tanzania possible.
- Watch the sunrise from the roof of Africa as you summit Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest walkable mountain in the world
- Explore the varied and unique climactic zones of Kilimanjaro, as you climb the mountain on a five-day journey
- Descend to the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater, a lush natural enclosure for Africa’s ‘Big Five’
- Drive across the Serengeti in search of close encounters with the continent’s most famous wildlife including giraffe, lion, leopard and elephant
- Visit an active Masai village, learning about the customs, beliefs and traditions of this famous and decorated African tribe
- Wander throughout the cobbled streets seeped in Swahili culture in the historic city of Stone Town
- Unwind on the pristine white shores of Zanzibar, slipping occasionally into the calm aquamarine waters of the Indian Ocean
TRIP AT A GLANCE
(Day 1): Moshi – Welcome to Tanzania!
(Day 2): Kilimanjaro: Mandara Camp – Begin your trek up Africa’s tallest mountain through the rainforest
(Day 3): Kilimanjaro: Horombo Hut – Leave the jungle and spend the day hiking through heather and moorland
(Day 4): Kilimanjaro: Kibo Hut – Hike through alpine desert as you near Uhuru Peak
(Day 5): Kilimanjaro: Summit – Rise early to reach the summit of Kili, and enjoy the best sunrise on the continent
(Day 6): Kilimanjaro to Moshi – Descend the final portion of the mountain and return to Moshi
(Day 7): Moshi to Arusha – Drive to the city of Arusha, located at the base of Mount Meru
(Day 8): Arusha to Manyara – Drive to the tranquil Manyara National Park, home of the rare tree-climbing lions
(Day 9): Manyara to the Serengeti – Drive via a Masai village to the quintessential plains of the Serengeti
(Day 10): Serengeti – Spend a full day on safari exploring the Serengeti
(Day 11): Serengeti to Ngorongoro – Explore the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, descending to the floor of the famous crater
(Day 12): Ngorongoro to Arusha – Further explorations of Ngorongoro before returning to Arusha
(Day 13): Arusha to Stone Town – Fly to the Indian Ocean, landing in the historic Stone Town
(Day 14): Stone Town – Explore the cobbled and winding streets of Stone Town, soaking in Swahili culture
(Day 15): Stone Town to Kendwa – Travel to the northwest coast via a spice plantation
(Day 16): Kendwa – Relax on the tropical blue shores of Zanzibar, spending the day entirely at your leisure
(Day 17): Kendwa to Stone Town and Home – Fly out of Stone Town to connect onwards with your international flight home
This tour begins with adrenaline and adventure as you embark on a five-day journey up the slopes of Africa’s tallest mountain: Mount Kilimanjaro. Spend days hiking through the varied climactic zones of this global landmark, pausing to admire rainforest waterfalls, giant lobelias and the alpine desert. Climb to the glacial peak at midnight, arriving on the roof of Africa just in time for one of the planet’s most dramatic sunrises. Descend quickly, claiming a certificate before venturing onwards to the other corners of the country.
From Kilimanjaro, move towards the quintessential African landscape as you enter into the Serengeti National Reserve. Drive across endless savanna as you seek out intimate encounters with elephant, lion, cheetah and giraffe. As an expert safari guide leads you around, stop to learn about the smaller insects, amphibians, birds and plants, which are fundamental to this phenomenal landscape. Indulge in a classic cocktail in a secluded corner of the bush as the sun descends around you, prompting a dramatic transformation of the sky at sunset.
Fly out of the bush, landing on the idyllic tropical shores of the Zanzibar Archipelago. Spend a day exploring the Swahili-steeped city of Stone Town, visiting monuments, palaces and delightful restaurants as you wander through a labyrinth of cobbled streets. Detour via a spice farm before concluding this unbelievable adventure on the soft white sand beaches of northern Zanzibar. Slip into the aquamarine water to explore the marine life below, or simply drift away in a daydream as you reflect upon the magic of it all.
Ideal Travel Months
Given the variation in destinations and activities on this tour, the ideal time for visiting will depend largely on which sections of this trip are most important to you. Nevertheless, each area will still deliver an unforgettable experience. What follows are a few parameters that outline the best times to visit the varied region:
- Kilimanjaro: January, February and September are the warmest and driest months on the mountain, albeit they are also the busiest.
- Serengeti/Ngorongoro: June to October, and January to February are the driest months in the bush, which make ideal game viewing conditions. October to April is the best for The Great Wildebeest Migration. Calving occurs in February in the Serengeti.
- Zanzibar: June to October, and December to mid March are the driest months on the island. The hottest and most popular months to visit occur between December and February.
- Cultural / Local Food / World Heritage Sites / Food & Wine / Gourmet Dining / Beaches / Scenic Drive / Small Towns / Villages / Walking Tours / Ecotourism / Hiking / National Park / Reserve / Nature / Outdoor Adventures / Safari / Wildlife