Botswana’s surreal landscapes are ripe for adventure. This is where you can cross immense salt pans on quad bikes, walk across the savannah with Bushmen, and cruise along waterways filled with hippos and elephants. This tailored family adventure takes you on a journey deep into the wilderness, allowing you to explore an untamed world through a myriad of unique experiences. Beautiful, exciting, and wonderfully intimate; this ten day trip is what Botswana is all about.
- Head deep into the untamed animal world of the Shinde Private Concession, game drives and walking safaris providing an intimate experience with the big cats and a delightful supporting cast
- Go on a thrilling two day quad bike adventure through the immense lunar landscape of the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans
- Spend a day with indigenous San Bushmen and discover the ancient arts of animal tracking and bush survival
- Savor an unforgettable night in the heart of the salt pans, rolling out beds and sleeping beneath a phenomenal sky of stars
- Immerse yourself in nature by staying in rustic camps that are surrounded by wildlife and expect nature’s soundtrack to sing a lullaby and an evocative landscape to greet you every morning
- Fly over the surreal sight of the Okavango, marveling at the endless waterways and spotting animal herds from the sky
- Explore the Okavango Delta by boat, gently cruising past giant hippo pods and playful elephant herds
- Relax in pristine nature as your guide entertains the children, teaching them indigenous skills like making bow and arrows, rubbing sticks to create fire, and silently approaching animals
TRIP AT A GLANCE
(Day 1): Welcome to the Salt Pans
(Day 2): Exploring the Stunning Wildlife of Makgadikgadi
(Days 3 – 4): Spectacular Quad Bike Adventure in Makgadikgadi
(Day 5): Walking with Bushmen in Makgadikgadi
(Day 6): Into the Surreal World of the Okavango
(Day 7): Exploring the Okavango Delta by Boat
(Day 8): A Walking Safari through Okavango
(Day 9): Big Cat Game Drives in Okavango
(Day 10): Goodbye to Botswana
Botswana is a land of surreal phenom and inimitable experiences. Shimmering salt pans reflect dreamy sunsets, meandering waterways are flooded with hippos, and barefoot ushmen nimbly sidestep through the savannah. This unique ten day trip epitomizes the Botswana experience. You’re submerged in the wild, hundreds of miles from a settlement or main road. But you’re constantly exploring and discovering; lion prides roam beside your safari truck, your quad bike follows elephant trails, and bush walks bring you face to face with dozens of indelible fourlegged residents. Mornings and late afternoons are active, the whole family embarking on a wilderness adventure. Midafternoon is quiet time in Botswana. That often means a serene siesta as your guide tailors activities for the children, like learning how to make fire with sticks or how to silently track animals. ight time is for admiring the stars and letting nature’s distinct soundtrack sing a lullaby.
Th itinerary is split between two destinations the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans and the Okavango Delta. After arriving at Maun International Airport you board a light aircraft and cruise over the dry savannah to the edge of Makgadikgadi, a salt pan that’s larger than some US states. Gaze out across the mirage, admiring the white wonderland and trying to decipher the location of the horizon. Spend a day exploring its peculiar wildlife, like meerkat gangs, aardwolves, and scampering hyenas. Then roll the wrists and cross Makgadikgadi on a two day quad bike expedition. Elephant trails zigzag then disappear, baobab trees and ostrich stand lonely, and you’ve got an untamed world the size of Switzerland to explore. Ride to Kubu Island and roll out beds beneath the starry sky, reveling in this surreal lunar landscape. Before leaving the salt pans there is time for a full day’s cultural immersion with San Bushmen. Discover how and where they live, and learn the ancient art of wild animal tracking. It’s an experience that makes everyone stop and think.
White salt becomes lush blue water as you fly over the Okavango Delta and land in the remote Shinde Private Concession. Hippos and crocodiles control the immense waterways, while big cats and elephants roam across the forests and floodplains. Explore it by boat, serenely cruising past the life on the riverbank. Go off-road in a safari truck and seek out nature’s great predators, and then continue your adventure on foot. There are very few other tourists here, and this myriad of safari experiences ensures that these five days are packed with intimate wildlife moments. A succession of wild game wanders past your private verandah and the luxury camp is perfect for sitting back and watching the natural world unfold. Everyone in the family will have different favorite memories from this trip. Yet, everyone will have succumbed to the natural charm of this ancient world on this magical safari trip to Botswana!
- Cultural / World Heritage Sites / Walking Tours / Nature / Outdoor Adventures / Safari / Wildlife