Sheep farming is among the traditional business and occupations of the people of some countries around the world. Sheep have been rearing as a domestic animal from the ancient time. Usually sheep farming means ‘rearing sheep commercially for the purpose of meat, milk and wool production’. Although sheep farming for commercial milk production is not a good decision. Sheep are suitable for meat and wool production. If you have proper facilities, then you can raise sheep in both small and large scale. Commercial sheep farming business is very profitable and you will get your investment back within a very short period. Before starting sheep farming business, make a proper business plan and work according to the plan. Here we are describing more about the main advantages of commercial sheep farming business and the steps for starting this business.
Why Sheep Farming?
Sheep are raised mainly for their wool, milk, skins and manure production. Sheep meat is very tasty, nutritious and popular to all types of people throughout the world. Sheep farming business can be a great source of income and for eradicating poverty from the barren, desert, semiarid and mountainous areas. It is also a reliable income source for the people who are engaged with animal farming business.
- You don’t need to have a huge capital for starting a sheep farm.
- You don’t have to make an expensive house for your sheep.
- Sheep farming business require less labor than any other livestock farming business.
- Sheep give birth of kids frequently, so the size of your herd will be large within a short period.
- Sheep eat different kinds of plants, compared to other kinds of livestock animals. So you can use them for cleaning unwanted plants from your garden or field.
- Sheep hardly destroy trees than goats.
- Sheep can survive by consuming low quality grass and turn the feed into meat and wool.
- Sheep products such as wool, meat and milk are used for different purposes.
- They are very hardy animal, and can adopt themselves with almost all types of environment.
- Sheep require less space for living. Even you can raise sheep with your other livestock animals.
- By proper care and management, commercial sheep farming business can be a great source of earning and employment. Unemployed educated young can also make a good income and employment source through raising sheep commercially.
Importance of Sheep Farming in National Economic Growth
Commercial sheep farming can play a very important role to the national income of a country. Not only the sheep but also the goats have a great role in the national economic growth. By rearing sheep in small scale, the poor people can earn some extra income. Sheep products have a huge demand in the international market. So there is an opportunity to earn foreign currencies by exporting sheep products. That will directly increase national income.
How to Start Sheep Farming Business?
Sheep are small sized animal. So starting commercial sheep farming business is very easy. But like other farming business, it will be better if you make a suitable business plan before starting. Always go through some step by step process. Here we are describing the steps of starting this lucrative business.
Select a Suitable Farm Location
Selecting a suitable location for starting a sheep farm is very important. Consider the essential facilities for raising sheep, while selecting the place. A good clean and fresh water source, availability of adequate amount of greens, good medication, suitable transportation and proper marketing are the essential facilities for starting commercial sheep farming business. Keep in mind all these, while selecting land for your business.
Purchase Quality Breeds
Always try to purchase quality breeds from famous farms or breeders. There are numerous sheep breeds available around the world. But all of those breeds are not suitable for farming in all areas. Some breeds are suitable for commercial meat production and some breeds are suitable for wool production. Choose suitable breeds according to your desired production purpose. You can also consider your local breeds (if there are any). Some popular sheep breeds are listed below.
- South Down